Find us on Google+

Friday, December 13, 2013

Corner Sharpness and Vignetting Test Review of Leica 50mm f2 Summicron with Sony A7r



Sony A7r with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron

I have been using this lens with the Sony A7r for quite a while now, but with my recent trip to Hong Kong I have only had the time to now post about my thoughts on it.



I am going to go ahead and say that this is probably one of the best performing Rangfinder M-Mount lens (that I have) on the Sony A7r. It has just got everything, it is nice and compact, light, have great technical performance (vignetting, corner sharpness and so on) and also most importantly pictures taken with this lens just looks great, I can't explain why or how but that is just the way it is.


Vignetting

Sony A7r with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron vignetting test at f2

Sony A7r with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron vignetting test a f2.8

Sony A7r with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron vignetting at f4

The Leica 50mm f2 Summicron controls its vignetting very well. There is some vignetting wide-open at f2, just stopping down to f2.8 pretty much got rid of all vignetting and anything beyond that things just gets even better. Definitely one of the best M-Mount lens in this aspect and it probably even matches the performance of R-Mount lenses I tested earlier.


Corner Sharpness

Sony A7r with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron corner sharpness test at f2

100% Crop at f2

Sony A7r with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron corner sharpness test at f2.8
100% Crop at f2.8

Sony A7r with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron corner sharpness test at f4
100% Crop at f4

Sony A7r with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron corner sharpness test at f5.6
100% Crop at f5.6

Sony A7r with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron corner sharpness test at f8
100% Crop at f8

Again, in terms of corner sharpness this lens performs amazingly, it is probably the best out of all the lenses I have tested so far. The corners are reasonably sharp right from wide-open, and certainly usable for anything but the largest of prints (and even then it will probably be fine). Then, as you can see from the sample photos, the sharpness improves even further the more you stop the lens down. I would say that by f5.6 the lens has probably reached its peak.

Sony A7r  with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron at f2

Just to give you another example the photo above was shot at f2. At first when I looked at the image on my computer I got quite worried because I noticed a couple of black dots on the right side of the photo in the sky next to the top right container. When I zoomed in on the picture however I was astonished.

100% Crop at f2

When I zoomed in at 100% I could clearly see two birds flying in the distance in the background. The combination of this lens and the Sony A7r's sensor just seems to be able to resolve an amazing amount of detail...even wide open at f2 in the corner of the image.


Pretty Pictures

As mentioned before, the best and most important thing about this lens is probably the fact that photos taken with it seems to look good somehow and I have been using this lens extensively. In fact it is the default lens on my Sony A7r right now.

Sony A7r  with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron at f2

Sony A7r  with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron at f2
100% Crop at f2

Sony A7r  with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron at f2
Sony A7r  with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron
Sony A7r  with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron


Conclusion

Considering that there are a number of copies of this lens available for very reasonable prices, if you are able to get your hands on one I would highly recommend it...especially if you want the 50mm focal length, you will not be disappointed.

p.s. You will probably be seeing more samples from this lens as it was on my camera for most of my trip in Hong Kong and I will be posting more photos from that trip soon (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment